Saturday, March 5, 2011

F#%K! You were fat!

…is what my friends' engineer response was when we were talking about my weight loss.  My friends were finishing up their album (Welcome to Nightmare), and I wanted to check out a session. The engineer apologized. But it’s those truthful statements that help you become a better person (as long as those statements are genuine).  If people weren’t blunt, then we would be carefree.  I want criticism because it’s the only way I can improve.  Also, that’s how a statement got me started last July. 
                I picked up my friend Michael in Westwood in order to drive out to San Diego for our friends’ engagement party. The first thing Michael said when he saw me was, “Damn Louie. You look a little big.” Coincidentally, the button fell off my pants the same night.  I asked myself, “How was I going to do this? AGAIN!”
                See, I lost about 75 lbs a few years back. However, I gained it all back because of beers and pizza. Lots of beers! There were other factors, but it all led to me not caring anymore.
                Don’t let this happen to you, and that’s why I created this blog.  I’m going to offer a few tips:
1.)    Buy a couple of calendars. One to keep a record of your weight loss, and another to schedule your workouts. I have a small block calendar that I bought at the 99 cent store, and a large block calendar that I bought at Staples (4 or 6 bucks).  The small one is to keep track of my weight loss, and it’s a motivational calendar – “February: Planning; March: Desire.” The large one is for scheduling workouts. This will help you be consistent. If you miss a workout, then you “schedule” another one.   
2.)    Keep a food journal for two or three weeks (longer if possible).  In December, both Corey and Jeffrey at Innovative Results told me to keep track of what I ate. After a couple of weeks I found out that I was eating cookies, and sweet bread about every other day.  That was my weakness, and I fixed it.  Eat well, and don’t starve yourself.
3.)    Motivators and experts. I injured my calf in December while playing a basketball game with my family. I asked a few friends for advice.  Nadia (a marathoner) told me to buy a roller, and to use an elliptical.  The roller helped out! I didn’t go hard during my workouts that week, but I kept going. EXPERT.
You need to surround yourself with people who are better than you in what they do. My friend Maria loves to hike, so we went on hikes.  On one occasion (after 4-5 months of hiking), we were near the top, and I wanted to stop. Maria looked directly at me.  The first thing she said was, “Don’t stop.” I didn’t, and it was the first time that I hiked without stopping. MOTIVATOR.

I hope this is helpful. On that note, keep this in mind: You’re an athlete - dress like one, act like one, and soon you’ll be one. You’re under construction at the moment, and building a better you.

P.S. This is only a blog, and I do highly recommend that you consult with a doctor before you start a program.
I weighed at 297lbs in late July 2010. I am at 224 lbs, and still going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment